Author Topic: Smurf speculation thread  (Read 16797 times)

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Smurf speculation thread
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
Both were guys that were around and very active for years and years playing gow but weren't very good and never seemed to get better at all.  Perfect candidates for jokes since everyone knew them since they were around for so long.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »
both were slightly below average players. hogsun was famous for his "flower tower" at 2 o clock, and pretty much had a cannon tower at any other starting location whether he needed it or not.

i havent seen either one online in years ... hogsun disappeared first, fingaz next.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 06:18:41 PM »
Fingaz still plays from time to time.
war2 > war3

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
both were slightly below average players. hogsun was famous for his "flower tower" at 2 o clock, and pretty much had a cannon tower at any other starting location whether he needed it or not.

i havent seen either one online in years ... hogsun disappeared first, fingaz next.

Spb does the same flower tower at 2, if he was willingly to adapt the same build as hogsun it couldn't have been that bad?

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »
Bibleonthedash used to always be on $paCes teamspeak, so if you ever spoke to his original name on ts/vent/dis you'd probably know if it was him if you ever visited the teamspeak.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »

Spb does the same flower tower at 2, if he was willingly to adapt the same build as hogsun it couldn't have been that bad?

im not going to say the flower tower does SPB more harm than good, but the resources he spends on it/location he puts it could be better spent elsewhere. Also, SPB doesn't normally actually build the tower/upgrade it unless he feels like he needs it, where hogsun would auto-build/upgrade the tower without even knowing if it was necessary.

Towers for defence are a beautiful thing.. but it's important to not only know if/when to build them, but also if/when to upgrade them...

1 cannon tower 550g/200w to build ... 1000g/300w to upgrade to cannon.. that's 1550g/500w .. that's a huge setback when trying to beat your opponent to stronghold/mound/fort/altar/lust  .. if you're going to build it, better know for sure you need it.

players style/strat plays a factor also.. spb typically likes to play extremely defensively, force enemy to waste resources (grunts, ogres, cats, offensive towers, and the farm space needed to create those units) with macro as his main focus (expand as much as possible)  one of his strengths is peon production. so for him, it's not as devastating losing 10 gold peons at 2 o clock because he has 2 others town halls he is making peons from, and will continue making peons from 2 as soon as the threat is gone... a big part of the game is similar to chess, just trading units which have value and trying to accomplish it in a way where your enemy spends/loses more value than you in those exchanges. one of most player's potential weaknesses is that once they get to a certain point in the game, they focus less on peon production and more on offensive units. but like i said, spb always focuses on peon production. so if he loses 20-30 peons, but quickly replaces them, and manages to dk the enemies gold peons, and the enemy isnt as proficient at replacing those peons.. spb is ahead... but spb does not have a conventional style.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:09:22 PM by tk[as] »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
basically hogsun would 2 rax rush and have a cannon tower going before he even scouted enemy

the whole goal of 2 rax rushing is to put immediate pressure on your enemy .. you can't put pressure on enemy if you're spending resources on cannons instead of grunts.

or maybe hogsun would scout, see that his enemy is also rushing, and out of fear build the cannon tower .. when the resources spent on the cannon tower would have been better spent on say a lvl 4 upgrade IF necessary
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:13:27 PM by tk[as] »

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »
one of most player's potential weaknesses is that once they get to a certain point in the game, they focus less on peon production and more on offensive units. but like i said, spb always focuses on peon production. so if he loses 20-30 peons, but quickly replaces them, and manages to dk the enemies gold peons, and the enemy isnt as proficient at replacing those peons.. spb is ahead... but spb does not have a conventional style.

Even though I think it would be very difficult to figure out the exact numbers, I think there's a point where setting up an expansion and the cost of a huge amount of peon production can take such a long time to break even on that its not necessarily worth it for awhile.

For example, even though I come from a bne/f background, and still prefer it, I've actually always been more of a micro-oriented player than macro.  There are times when matches go to late-late game and I'll get outmined by 50-100k and still win, or lose when my opponent has less than 5k banked, and I think its largely due to making so many peons and the cost of expanding, something I don't do a lot of.  Maybe the way I play will ultimately stop me from ever evolving to the next level, but most of the time I'm just fine with 1 or 2 halls mining gold during late game. 

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
basically hogsun would 2 rax rush and have a cannon tower going before he even scouted enemy

I remember ReiBorsoi doing that all the time, we were both 2 raxing from 12/2 one time and he did that haha. Needless to say, His 2nd Rax was almost never pumping grunts as a result.

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
Sooo who is Augustinus?

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
Sooo who is Augustinus?

Probably tk, tyrus, or jynx

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 04:34:36 PM »
It's not me and I'm about 99% sure it's not any of those other people either. I think I know who it is. Actually I'm pretty confident I know who it is

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »

nah hes better

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »

nah hes better

But not too good since he is 0-2 vs. ST and 1-3 vs. Knitterhemd

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
Augustinus

if he is who i think he is, he isnt much better.. he just has a style that is not typical of most good players. but once you figure it makes the games a lot easier.