Author Topic: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch  (Read 170855 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2024, 04:44:12 PM »
New Widescreen / High resolution patch released!
https://www.moddb.com/downloads/warcraft-ii-widescreen

Changelog

- Added support for High Resolution background images - Currently included: Splash screen, Main menu and Chat lobbies

- Game folder is now portable - New default settings: Recent Maps=Garden Of War, Speed=Even Faster, Subtitles=On

- Does now ensure that the 3 main gateways are always in the list (In case you somehow broke your list)

- Added iron man ladder patches (Resources, Speed, Threshold) from War2Patcher

- Can now detect wine (Linux/macOS/Android..) and automatically adds the needed dll overrides

- Added credits patch by lesnik - Displays all the credits that are written in the TBL in multiple screens

Special thanks to Kipp and danny for the help with the high resolution backgrounds! And also thanks to Jinn for creating the main menu background image!

Note:
If your lobby_map plugin isn't working anymore then re-download it from the first post (Some old versions don't work anymore)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:53:43 AM by fois »

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2024, 06:51:03 AM »
Thanks @fois!

Great work :)

I edited my own chat background, thought the one included was a bit too pixelated and dark. I attach it if anyone playing with 1280x704.

Would be nice if you had a bigger mini map at higher resolutions. I can help with the graphics if it is something you want to develop, fois. It would be a great improvement, because the mini map is a bit too small on high resolutions.
I can also make the lobby graphics for wide screen if you need.

Anyways thanks :)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2024, 12:34:37 AM »
Thanks @fois!

Great work :)

I edited my own chat background, thought the one included was a bit too pixelated and dark. I attach it if anyone playing with 1280x704.

Nice! Here's also the original artwork https://pixeldrain.com/u/UJcGWBzy
Maybe that helps in case you want to play around with it some more

Would be nice if you had a bigger mini map at higher resolutions. I can help with the graphics if it is something you want to develop, fois. It would be a great improvement, because the mini map is a bit too small on high resolutions.
I can also make the lobby graphics for wide screen if you need.

Anyways thanks :)

That's probably going to be a lot of work, I guess we would have to switch the minimap from 128x128 to 256x256 to make that happen... But that would mean the entire sidebar has to be redone (would probably take weeks to complete!)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2024, 04:23:53 AM »
That's probably going to be a lot of work, I guess we would have to switch the minimap from 128x128 to 256x256 to make that happen... But that would mean the entire sidebar has to be redone (would probably take weeks to complete!)

Ah, I see. I guess it's not the graphics that would take time, but the development? I just made a fast sketch how it would look like. :)
Also added the player names / colors to the bottom left, since I think that would also be a great improvement.

And this is how it looks atm, for reference:

Offline Maxx444

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2024, 09:45:24 AM »
Interesting take @eleison
I like the player name / colors on the bottom left. Don't know how I feel about the larger in game minimap.... cool if it was an option though.
I thought you were suggesting a larger lobbymap :D

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:14 AM »
Very nice mockup! Not sure yet if like it, it's a bit over the top TBH... I guess it would look better on a higher resolution like 1920x1080 but for 1280x704 it's just too big?

Player names are cool, should be easy to patch in. I'll give it a try soon

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2024, 03:10:46 AM »
Very nice mockup! Not sure yet if like it, it's a bit over the top TBH... I guess it would look better on a higher resolution like 1920x1080 but for 1280x704 it's just too big?

In my opinion it's not too big. But I guess we all have different preferences. It's important to keep track of the mini map during play. For me I think it is the biggest downside with playing high resolution, that the mini map becomes so small, in percentage to the playing area, compared to low resolution. Would be a more legacy high resolution mode, if proportions stayed the same. But I understand if people don't like it.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2024, 11:24:48 AM »

Yes it wont be good if someone use much smaller resolution
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Alex1891

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2024, 11:27:59 AM »
Hello, fois! Thank you for the great patch. I would like to ask to add support for the "saveloadFixByMistral.w2p" plugin. As far as I know, game AI after saving and then loading stops working correctly, and this plugin fixes that.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2024, 12:42:10 PM »
Hello, fois! Thank you for the great patch. I would like to ask to add support for the "saveloadFixByMistral.w2p" plugin. As far as I know, game AI after saving and then loading stops working correctly, and this plugin fixes that.

this plugin is not a native feature from widescreen feature.But more likely from War2Combat. In that case, there may be an option in future to select this plugin to be installed from war2combat installer.

Offline Alex1891

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2024, 12:59:28 PM »
this plugin is not a native feature from widescreen feature.But more likely from War2Combat. In that case, there may be an option in future to select this plugin to be installed from war2combat installer.

Yes, this plugin is from War2Combat. I wonder if it is possible to integrate it into the widescreen patch similar to other plugins. If I understand correctly, the widescreen patch can be used with the vanilla BNE game from GOG.com, without using War2Combat, and the saveloadFixByMistral plugin would be very useful in this case.

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2024, 03:28:14 PM »
just use combat with plugins support + HD patch if you want to play campanigns with this plugin.
if you want to play our custom campanigns like Alaunter or Red Mist then not worry, they have save load fix and ai fix by default
so basically you not need gog to play campanigns because gog is shit

and if you want to play multiplayer with saveload fix then its very cursed on gog, you need to have every player with who you plays also get this plugin, otherwise game desync and drop.
you can play on our server easily, just enable rebalanced game mode in lobby, ai fix and saveload fix is set by default, AND its syncronisend by players so game will not drop.
BTW the plugin itself is maked only for singleplayer, its not supported in mp and not expected to even work here at all.
for server side its already here you just play on rebalanced mode or set map with triggers with saveload enabled.

actually lol wtf, is there is even someone who really need save load in multiplayer and also when playing with comps? i can only imagine some super duper ultra hardcore comps map otherwise people basically just play and thats all.
so probably you do not need this plugin for multiplayer at all.
and that means you want it for singleplayer? just use combat for that, gog is shit

Offline Alex1891

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2024, 04:13:09 PM »
just use combat with plugins support + HD patch if you want to play campanigns with this plugin.
and that means you want it for singleplayer? just use combat for that, gog is shit

Yeah, I'm only interested in singleplayer. I know I can use War2Combat, but I want to use original gog version (with high quality music ripped by me from my original DOS CD and placed into install.mpq). That's why I asked if it was possible to add a plugin to the widescreen patch, since it already use similar plugins.

Offline Buttercraft

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2024, 07:11:52 PM »

Yeah, I'm only interested in singleplayer. I know I can use War2Combat, but I want to use original gog version (with high quality music ripped by me from my original DOS CD and placed into install.mpq). That's why I asked if it was possible to add a plugin to the widescreen patch, since it already use similar plugins.

You can replace the BNE audio with any MPQ tool, INSTALL.EXE is an MPQ file afterall.

Place cmdmpq, the bat file I attached and the .wav files (named human1-6.wav, orc1-6.wav) into the root game directory and run the bat file to switch the game music.

human1 is BDP Track02 (0m:0s - 2m:52s)
human2 is BDP Track02 (2m:52s - 6m:28s)
human3 is BDP Track03
human4 is BDP Track04
human5 is BDP Track05
human6 is BDP Track06

orc1 is BDP Track10 (0m:0s - 2m:23s)
orc2 is BDP Track10 (2m:23s - 5m:54s)
orc3 is BDP Track11
orc4 is BDP Track12
orc5 is BDP Track13
orc6 is BDP Track14

Code: [Select]
@echo off

cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human1.wav music\human1.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human2.wav music\human2.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human3.wav music\human3.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human4.wav music\human4.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human5.wav music\human5.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE human6.wav music\human6.wav

cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc1.wav music\orc1.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc2.wav music\orc2.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc3.wav music\orc3.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc4.wav music\orc4.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc5.wav music\orc5.wav
cmdmpq a INSTALL.EXE orc6.wav music\orc6.wav
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 10:14:56 PM by Buttercraft »

Offline Buttercraft

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2024, 10:55:53 PM »
Switching out the music this way is only possible with the full edition of War2Combat (not lite or standard)

You can push custom music into BNE and GoG editions with cmdmpq too but they use different paths internally, e.g.

~unknowns\unknown_0000012c instead of music\human3.wav

etc