Author Topic: DethWave@DT DethMongal@DT DethWlkr@DT  (Read 25141 times)

Offline foonat

• Server Admin
  • Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: DethWave@DT DethMongal@DT DethWlkr@DT
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »
Do you realize that with such a small sample size (and on GOW, results of which are affected by sample size more than balanced maps), 5-6 means they're basically even, right? Being 1 game up over 11 games would not have me proclaiming him as the better player..

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
I do realize that. But I also believe szwag has improved..

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
"Better at 2v2"  .. at my prime, hotty and wg were very active and at their prime as well.. I couldn't win a 2v2 with hotty as ally, but me and wg could compete with and even beat other "top teams"  .. just styles matching up or not...
is that supposed to say shotty?  because hotty was alltime ally mvp material

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »
I actually started playing around 2001 (and also started on GOW BNE/F), and you had already been playing EF for a year or two.  8)

I had a winning record on viruz around that time as well (I don't think I was better, I think my style just matched up well with his)

No, I officially started EF when .ru came out because the transition to .ru wiped out the vast majority of the fastest community, and so I was left with having to learn EF. At first I was very reluctant, and disliked EF's slowness with a passion, but I didn't want to quit war2 and so I played EF and fell in love with it within a few months. But that's beside the point. Our roughly 30-40 games against each other we're all during the first year of .ru, which was my first real year of EF - I played maybe 150~ games (that's a generous guess) of EF prior to .ru throughout the six years or so, most notably in the first festival where I lost to Valkrie 1-2 in the finals or semi finals.

Viruz, bara, jakes, lux and more can all vouche that I didn't transition to EF until .ru.

I am not trying to discredit you though, that's not what this is about. I was always very honest about our record, and I was the one that let you know originally that you are the only other player besides ruz who has a roughly 50/50 record vs me on EF. I'm not saying you weren't good, because you clearly were, but after that time frame when you and I used to play a lot I improved substantially on EF. I actually think you are one of the most underrated players by far as well and were a solid 2ser too.
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
Sg is losing against szwag. . 5-6 .. and I think szwag  is better now than he was when they played last

Swag is really good. You didn't ask me, but I think Swag, poscow, lone and Jesk are the only great players to arise in the last 7-8 years in my opinion, but I don't think he's better than SG. I think with equal/similar activity swag probably wins 20-30% of the games at best to start and if he keeps playing against top competition for an extended period of time would have the potential to improve greatly.
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline foonat

• Server Admin
  • Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
I actually started playing around 2001 (and also started on GOW BNE/F), and you had already been playing EF for a year or two.  8)

I had a winning record on viruz around that time as well (I don't think I was better, I think my style just matched up well with his)

No, I officially started EF when .ru came out because the transition to .ru wiped out the vast majority of the fastest community, and so I was left with having to learn EF. At first I was very reluctant, and disliked EF's slowness with a passion, but I didn't want to quit war2 and so I played EF and fell in love with it within a few months. But that's beside the point. Our roughly 30-40 games against each other we're all during the first year of .ru, which was my first real year of EF - I played maybe 150~ games (that's a generous guess) of EF prior to .ru throughout the six years or so, most notably in the first festival where I lost to Valkrie 1-2 in the finals or semi finals.

Viruz, bara, jakes, lux and more can all vouche that I didn't transition to EF until .ru.

I am not trying to discredit you though, that's not what this is about. I was always very honest about our record, and I was the one that let you know originally that you are the only other player besides ruz who has a roughly 50/50 record vs me on EF. I'm not saying you weren't good, because you clearly were, but after that time frame when you and I used to play a lot I improved substantially on EF. I actually think you are one of the most underrated players by far as well and were a solid 2ser too.

Gotcha - I think your points are fair.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
"Better at 2v2"  .. at my prime, hotty and wg were very active and at their prime as well.. I couldn't win a 2v2 with hotty as ally, but me and wg could compete with and even beat other "top teams"  .. just styles matching up or not...
is that supposed to say shotty?  because hotty was alltime ally mvp material

no. it was supposed to say hotty. me and hotty did not play well together at all. me and hotty could go 1-5 vs esn/sepi.. and me and wg would go like 4-2 vs STEVE/LUX type players.

and it was understood that while all that was going on, hotty was a "better" player than wg.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:13:23 PM by tk[as] »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
Sg is losing against szwag. . 5-6 .. and I think szwag  is better now than he was when they played last

Swag is really good. You didn't ask me, but I think Swag, poscow, lone and Jesk are the only great players to arise in the last 7-8 years in my opinion, but I don't think he's better than SG. I think with equal/similar activity swag probably wins 20-30% of the games at best to start and if he keeps playing against top competition for an extended period of time would have the potential to improve greatly.

i'd add hotty to that list.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2016, 07:10:12 PM »
Sg has never been the best as long as I've been playing on ru.  Szwag is hands down the best active player imo.. and lone may take that title if he keeps doing what he's doing.

I would like to see a series between SG and Swagier. I still have yet to see that match up.

I believe in 2014 we actually did get Shotgun vs. Szwagier in the Warcraft 2 Festival. (Might be wrong though

It was a really packed one (59 players)  the final four people in the semi finals were

Swift vs. BHC-Jesk

Shotgun vs. Viruz

Unfortunately BHC-Jesk had to bail out though. Those 4 at the time were my picks as the top 4 but I think Szwagier was not far behind then either.

He won the Map Variety 2vs2 Tour that weekend and had a really good showing in the 2vs2 gow ef.

---

Double checked the ladder and looks like that it indeed did happen
http://ladder.war2.ru/record.php?player1=Shotgun&player2=Szwagier

Idk what happened to the replays for that one.. I have most of the replays on the youtube channel from the tournament. Szwagier might still have them.

Offline foonat

• Server Admin
  • Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:18 PM »

i'd add hotty to that list.
hot's been around forever

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
i never saw him pre .ru  .. i guess he was around in 07 when i came back to war2. i wouldnt have thought he's been around much longer than cow

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:27 AM »
I barely play and still hang with the euros who play daily

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 01:19:06 AM »
I barely play and still hang with the euros who play daily

I think you're used to playing with lag while most players are not. Doesn't that give you some kind of advantage?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:21:44 AM by BenJamin »

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
As for never really reaching #1, I was pretty much there between 03 until 08 when I stopped playing, Nerzy and I were probably the most dominant 1on1 players and I was IMO the best on low res for that entire period, most people commenting on this thread didn't even own war2 at that time (even though, that was LATE in regards to war2s peak populace online).

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
I got here in 07 and the 3 names that were talked about  when I fist came to the server were you, swift, and ruz.. based on what I saw, I felt like in 07 both of them has an extremely small edge on u in 1s ... not sure about ruz, but watching u and swift in team games was ugly back then.