Author Topic: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be  (Read 28289 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
...., it's actually a /burden/ that we willingly undertake because of that fact. ...Do you expect us to quit our jobs to advertise a warcraft 2 server or what?

There are people willing to take the burden away from you, not like you have a gun to your head forcing you to do it. If you can't meet its commitments, let others who can take the task at hand.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

^^
Anyone who wants to take the burden away is invited to host tournaments, do advertising, help newbies, etc.  Isn't that what we've been saying throughout this thread?  That that so-called burden of those sorts of things is not something only administrators can do?

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page

...., it's actually a /burden/ that we willingly undertake because of that fact. ...Do you expect us to quit our jobs to advertise a warcraft 2 server or what?

There are people willing to take the burden away from you, not like you have a gun to your head forcing you to do it. If you can't meet its commitments, let others who can take the task at hand.

^^
Anyone who wants to take the burden away is invited to host tournaments, do advertising, help newbies, etc.  Isn't that what we've been saying throughout this thread?  That that so-called burden of those sorts of things is not something only administrators can do?

Why? The way the server is currently run will automatically null any progress that is made from those efforts.

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
No one has denied anyone can do it Blid. There are people who do it, the point is why can't the administration as well. Your time of adding icons, transferring stats, and shit will be done soon. The question was asked what else admins can do and those are things you can do, or assign someone to do. If you want the users of the server to do I don't see why the leadership can't as well. I wasn't even saying like these fuckin admins they are so inactive they are useless or anything, I was giving suggestions.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2015, 04:14:40 PM »
2008-2009 A huge number of people came here because Battle.net totally died lmao.  The features you're talking about are what regular users of the game want mainly. If you say to someone that has never played Warcraft 2 get custom icons, anti hack, and do server commands with bots instantly! They are going to be like wait what's Warcraft 2? I have no idea what those things are.  Most the people who play on this server play here because there is no other server for Warcraft 2, and most of them came here when Battle.net died. Having features is going to help keep new players, but keeping the 200 people that play this game isn't going to do shit if you don't bring new people in as well. I'm not against adding new features to keep new players, you also have to get new players as well its a two way street.

I see you are misinformed about the actual history of things.  RU was the sole place to use War2 from 2006 - Present.  Not a single soul was on the BNE servers from 2005 onward aside from the occasional player logging in and wondering where everyone went.  Only to find that they had moved after they read the Occult forum.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
Lol Lance you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here. Battle.net died in 2009 when I came here. In about 2007 or so everyone went to West for a year or so then we came back to East for a year before it totally died in 2009! I had 8000 games on xXxSmeagolxXx on East I ought to know. There were 100s of people still playing Battle.net after 2005 lmao.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
It appears you forgot that the old forums still exist.  Date stamps and all.  You are older than you want to admit to I think :)
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile

Lol Lance you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here. Battle.net died in 2009 when I came here. In about 2007 or so everyone went to West for a year or so then we came back to East for a year before it totally died in 2009! I had 8000 games on xXxSmeagolxXx on East I ought to know. There were 100s of people still playing Battle.net after 2005 lmao.

He's not a customer player, most of the remaining players you are talking about were custom players...the other half had already pretty much died out.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
It appears I have a memory of what really happened. I met the Mother of my kid in 2006, I introduced her to Warcraft 2 and we played on Battle.net from 2006-2009. There were many players at the time such as , Me, Killa_Yaky. x[Dw]x-Chogall, WorkOfArt, EricWagner, Elmodoesdrugs, Murd0ck , ther were 100s of people. I played well over 1000 games from 2006-2009. What would time stamps on the occult forum mean shit? Is there also screen shots showing no one on, because it's not true, there we're still players on Battle.net until 2009. There may not have been much GOW the community mostly moved to RU, but there were people and games hosted on Battle.net for years after 2005 and the channel was never once empty from 2005-2009.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:40:04 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile

...I met the Mother of my kid in 2006, I introduced her to Warcraft 2 and we played on Battle.net from 2006-2009. ...

And we both know how much a delight she is...[emoji31]

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
2008-2009 A huge number of people came here because Battle.net totally died lmao.  The features you're talking about are what regular users of the game want mainly. If you say to someone that has never played Warcraft 2 get custom icons, anti hack, and do server commands with bots instantly! They are going to be like wait what's Warcraft 2? I have no idea what those things are.  Most the people who play on this server play here because there is no other server for Warcraft 2, and most of them came here when Battle.net died. Having features is going to help keep new players, but keeping the 200 people that play this game isn't going to do shit if you don't bring new people in as well. I'm not against adding new features to keep new players, you also have to get new players as well its a two way street.
You're not going to get very many people who don't know what War2 is to start playing a 20-year-old game.

The key to getting "new" players is, imo, the following:

Have the client and server ready and welcoming.  This means:
* the download being easy to find on the webpage
* the client displaying properly when people create an account and log in
* people being able to host and join games upon signing in
* having a community that welcomes people and integrates them instead of booting them or flaming them

THEN you reach out to long-gone players who remember the game fondly
There was a post on reddit linking here a few months ago that got hundreds of upvotes from nostalgic people that none of us know.  Reaching those people and others that used to play and have moved on is the best possible way to increase our draw.  Facebook ads could play a role.  Then these players or groups of players come to the website, and, because of the stuff listed above, are able to play and have fun and stick around to play more often.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:31:39 PM by blid »

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
"Have the client and server ready and welcoming.  This means:" if you they don't know  the website having the download link in an easy to find section is going to do nothing. "Have the client and server ready and welcoming.  This means: Reach out to long-gone players who remember the game fondly" this is still advertising, its just advertising to a select group.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
It was 2005 everyone (except war2 ladder challenges) went to USWest when the DW clan took over the server and provided more games. I was recruiting every new player I saw. People didn't head back to East until I left free castles and started playing classic maps and the server fell apart without me.

2006 .RU opened and early tournaments got most of War2 Ladder Challenge players to switch by 2007, then the hunt for other classic map players began and we were able to bring a lot of them back. When we first began getting people to switch people were still mainly playing fastest speed, the EF tournaments changed the game back to the EF speed and made for a lot of old schoolers to return. The no cd key thing was exactly what the game needed. By 2008 we had a huge community of oldschool EF players, lots of legends were back. In 2009 the rest of the custom / fastest community came over finally after being able to get important clan leaders to make the switch and move over their clans, it lead to the rest of people following suit. You can find old messages about it on the server.war2.ru main page where we were welcoming over the clan mates.

The main thing that has kept this game alive is the fact that no cd or cd key are required to play. There are new players and old users who constantly find their way back to the game, and stick around for however much time. New features will defiantly be great to keep them around, and I think keeping them involved in clans for the newer players will be just as important as they find common people to play with without being banned and feeling alienated from the community. We are right on the top of google and youtube searches, a lot of the advertisement in finding this game takes care of itself these days. Keep them hooked in clans and the server player base can be saved. There are probably just as much or more new players who come to / log back on the game today then there were on BNET back in 2005. Just have to hook them.

If Warcraft 2 would have stayed Battle.Net I really doubt there would be any users left gaming today. Starcraft USA channels use to have about 10 channels full compared to Warcraft 2 USA-1 and when I went and looked at it on both east and west a couple weeks ago they were completely empty. I don't think enough people would have kept their CD Keys / CD's in good enough condition for it to last.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »
"Have the client and server ready and welcoming.  This means:" if you they don't know  the website having the download link in an easy to find section is going to do nothing. "Have the client and server ready and welcoming.  This means: Reach out to long-gone players who remember the game fondly" this is still advertising, its just advertising to a select group.
Yes, the second half of that post is about advertising. I'm not trying to say otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:46:43 PM by blid »

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »
Point proved, Battle.net was alive until 2009! Lol. Yes no CD Key and no disc is one big thing that keeps people playing here I agree. It is proven advertising anything will bring more people to what you are advertising. The server may be self advertising in ways, but obviously not fully or the player base wouldn't be dropping. Trying to reach out to old players or posting advertisements on gaming sites or payed advertisements on public sites can't hurt anything. You can say the game is self advertising and in the past it has done well that way yes, it's also been dropping in users in recent years. I advertise Warcraft 2 in the description of all of my videos, on my PBall Players Group, to people I meet or my friends. The point is advertising can't hurt anything.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
The main thing that has kept this game alive is the fact that no cd or cd key are required to play. There are new players and old users who constantly find their way back to the game, and stick around for however much time. New features will defiantly be great to keep them around, and I think keeping them involved in clans for the newer players will be just as important as they find common people to play with without being banned and feeling alienated from the community. We are right on the top of google and youtube searches, a lot of the advertisement in finding this game takes care of itself these days. Keep them hooked in clans and the server player base can be saved. There are probably just as much or more new players who come to / log back on the game today then there were on BNET back in 2005. Just have to hook them.

If Warcraft 2 would have stayed Battle.Net I really doubt there would be any users left gaming today. Starcraft USA channels use to have about 10 channels full compared to Warcraft 2 USA-1 and when I went and looked at it on both east and west a couple weeks ago they were completely empty. I don't think enough people would have kept their CD Keys / CD's in good enough condition for it to last.
Good post and good points.  This game would be literally totally dead today if .ru hadn't come along and gotten rid of the cd key requirement.