Author Topic: There was a time...  (Read 47579 times)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
Re: There was a time...
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
My best records in PBall 2v3s were 25-5 with Cs-Kirby and 23-7 with Killa_Yaky. That is no easy feat at all especially in those days when PBall was still played more and there were more regular players. In more recent years I've gone 10-0 different times with QUICK{hR} and Xcal but we lose some after that, winning 2v3s in PBall isn't easy. I also win 2v4s with good partners and 2v3s. I have won two 1v3 ever and those were amazing because of the fact you don't get any more units in PBall that isn't PBall build. I've won many many 1v2s also probably 55-75% somewhere.

As for the PBall maps, I created a map pack of the PBalls and Rpgs I've made for my Facebook PBall group. It has also has the old PBalls in a folder called PBall. There are a few folders and they are all identified in simple terms. Strife PBall(45Man) in Smeagol's PBalls is probably the most commonly played and one of the most skilled PBalls around right now. 80 Man PBall 3v3 will be in the folder PBalls it is the older by a bit map that 45 Man draws some inspiration from. PBall X 1.0 is a map with a rax a lot of people play and 420 PBall also they are old school East PBalls. Note: It won't let me upload the entire map pack, but these are 4 most import of the 8 or so folders.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
exactly blid... these are all mistakes that they're allowed to get away with because the people they're playing are bad too.
but most of the weak play was orange.  and it's easier to spot mistakes watching a replay than it is to avoid making mistakes playing.  basically, do i think i could beat orange my first time ever playing that map?  heh maybe.  still think id need a lot of practice to compete with someone who doesnt play terrible

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
if people who truly understood the mechanics of war2 started playing pball primarily, regularly, and took it seriously... you would see the game slow down a lot. games would last much longer and game play would be much more surgical. no top level pball players would be making these mistakes we see now.. at least not with any sort of regularity. if they happened, it would be a situation where the person who made the mistake knew he just lost the game and would leave before it ended (much like when 2 gow/ef players have a tower war and one of them built 1 extra tower and has 1 less peon... they know they lost, see no point in delaying the inevitable, and leave the game)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »
Your points are meaningless and are obviously the rantings of someone who has never played PBall. 54 my knight got killed because I had focus on saving my mage which is by far the best unit peon being next you also get 3 knights only 2 mages. You also fail to mention I follow it by a quick lightning with mage then a fireball on a ballista. My peon ran down "unprotected" because he was charging with a lot of range the peon is the fastest unit and I dropped 2 of his 3 range that were charging. The other mistakes they are not me and PBall is not a game of 100% perfection, mistakes are made every game and how much range and good units you kill, your kills at the end, and a victory is what really matters. I had near 70 kills and so did Xcal, I have had 3x my units in kills in PBall games before which is very high, but 2x my is normal ownage.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »
As for the PBall maps, I created a map pack of the PBalls and Rpgs I've made for my Facebook PBall group. It has also has the old PBalls in a folder called PBall. There are a few folders and they are all identified in simple terms. Strife PBall(45Man) in Smeagol's PBalls is probably the most commonly played and one of the most skilled PBalls around right now.
Uhhh why are there so many of the same thing

Strife PBall(45 Man)
Strife PBall2(45 Man PBall)
Strife PBall3(45 Man PBall)
Strife PBall4(45 Man PBall)
Strife PBall5(45 Man PBall)
Strife PBall(45 Man) 4v4
Strife PBall(45 Man) 2v6

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »

Wtf server is down?

Apparently it is. [emoji37]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Blid Haha that's true, the main one that is played 90% of the time is Strife PBall(45 Man) 4v4. The others are sequels and spin offs just for fun. Also these: Strife PBall(45 Man), Strife PBall(45 Man) 2v6 are just ones made to do different team games. Strife PBall 2 and 5 have never really played just kept by me forever. Strife 3 is a bigger version of  Strife PBall(45 Man) 4v4 the original and mainly played one. 45 Man It's all the same shit with different but similar terrain but the same units, Strife PBall(45 Man) is the original and main one. Also Tournament 1v1x4 PBall! is a tournament version of the original Strife where four 1v1s happen at once separated by water.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:05:39 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »
TK you talk about "surgical play" I am the best there is when it comes to fighting large numbers with small amounts of PBall units. I have dozens of maps I made that I call Small vs Large where one team gets a small group of units say 11 and the other 148. Also me and QUICK{hR} will kill all but 5 men each in 45 Man PBall and 1v2 vs someone with all 45. I am extremely fast when micro clicking units with a peasant and very accurate with a fireball under pressure. I also know how to defend narrow tunnels extremely well. Example:

Also 1v1s are a very different game than team games in PBall, you will see more games that are slowed down due to fighting it out with skilled players in 1v1s, but more time in team games because of sheer number of units. I end games quickly that is my play style, that's not to say I don't have games that take a while vs good players.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:06:17 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
No offence, but bragging about pball to a bne player is like a tic tac toe player bragging to a chess player about a game he played.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
maybe ill get my old war2 laptop running again and we'll play some pball some time...

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:08 PM »
No offense but comparing the skill of any 2 games with totally different mechanics is mostly opinion. They both take their own unique brand of skill GOW a more complex type of skill because of more things to do, but PBall with it's own skill. I can say COD takes more skill than Battlefield but to different people that wouldn't mean shit and they each have their own mechanics. Also this started as a discussion about EF I would have never "bragged" if PBalls skill level and 1v1ing BNE players didn't come up. Also I look forward to it TK.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »

No offence, but bragging about pball to a bne player is like a tic tac toe player bragging to a chess player about a game he played.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
yeah.. back to the EF vs F. i'm an EF player but have played quite a bit of F. i personally feel like ef is much more technical and "surgical". The speed of F sacrifices a lot of the technical play imo.

I think it takes more skill to play technical than it does fast. once you get to late game in EF you're maxed out on APM any way, even at the slower speed.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:10 AM »
Every single player who talks about the day when war2 skills relied more upon innovation and creativity was also bad back during these times as well.

every single one of them.

just saying
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.