Author Topic: There was a time...  (Read 48182 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: There was a time...
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
you like pball. that's fine... but it does not require anywhere near the skill or understanding of the game to be good at as it does to be good at the classic maps.. or even many other customs i've seen.
like, i totally agree with this.  pball is easy to learn and not as complex or interesting or fun or good as gow.  it's not even the same game as far as im concerned, as ive said before.  however, my war2observe apm is like 150.  despite pball being ez shit for newbs, that doesnt mean id be the best ever at pball just becuase ive learned gow.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
id be willing to bet the only top tier bne players you ever beat in pball were simply players who were bored, didnt have any other games to play, so they hopped on a game that was available. i've been known to do exactly that quite a bit. I'll hop in on a game of archers, kotr, bhg, mini bhg, pball, chop or whatever customs are available at the time. the thing is, none of them probably ever play the maps for extended amounts of time because they're all very mindless in comparison with BNE or classic maps (with the exception of chop at least.. it takes some actual skill to be a top chop player imo).
why do you assume that every decent BNE player has the same apm/micro control/finger speed/reaction time as the very best pball player?

because they wouldnt be decent at gow/ef if they didn't have decent all of those things... so if they're at least decent at it when they're playing a map like gow/ef and there are a million different things to worry about (scouting, managing resources, unit control, adapting to opponents strategy, expanding, and all of the other shit that goes into 1 game of gow/ef) i guarantee they'll make up for it when their brain tells them "hey forget all of that other shit in gow/ef.. you don't gotta watch ur resources.. u dont gotta worry about building placement.. u dont gotta worry about expanding... just worry about these 3 or 4 things right now instead"

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Like the title of this post let make take you back. There was a time ah 2002 when 60 Man PBall emerged and it began being hosted all day. Shortly after 2 Alleria was made and 60 Man and 2 Alleria were hosted all day. 420 PBall and 80 Man soon followed maps with mages and 420 with buildings and upgrades. At this time 2002-2004 PBall games were hosted all day and new maps were being made all the time many very random. This is where all the classic old school PBall maps come from though. At the time there were 1000's of PBallers and PBall was hosted all day, played as much or more than BNEs at the time. 2004-2006 there was still an active PBall community until by 2009 was mostly just me and my friends. I came to RU and PBall came with me and all the PBallers that made the switch around that time too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:21:28 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »
Wtf server is down?

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »
TK & Lance here is my most recent upload, just uploaded it. Feel free to leave your meaningless opinion on why I could be beaten by a good BNE player, then none will step up, nor yourselves =D . It's a game from a while back between Me and Xcal both very top level PBallers vs 3 in a 2v3. $Killa$Lancelot and Crash3r are on the away team and are both good PBallers in their own right too. The third guy is decent not great but he is an extra 45 units. Let me know more of the ways I could be owned... Still waiting. =D

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:49 PM »
Also don't get me wrong TK I don't dislike you. I just find your claims about the skill level of PBall ridiculous, but I really don't have to go over that it's been beat to death by everyone on all sides at this point. All the times I've talked to you or played with you on the server you seem like a cool guy. PBall is my shit though, you guys enjoy BNE, I enjoy PBall and I am very good at it and have lots of experience.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
$Killa$Lancelot and Crash3r are on the away team and are both good PBallers in their own right too.
Disagree lol.  I've never even played the map, yet while watching this vid, I found Killa to suck balls.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
Haha yeah he was on the one of the two top 30 60 Man PBall players list around 20 from back on East. He is very good when he is playing at his top performance, but he drinks a lot and the drunker he gets the more sloppy plays he makes and such. He tends to rush a bit too hard and just play more sloppy the drunker he gets haha. I don't drink nearly as much as him but if I am drunk I play much worse as well but its on him for drinking all the time while playing lol.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
2v3 thats it?  You should check out some of the highlights I have saved on my twitch stream.  There are a couple 4v1's,  lots of 2v1's, and a sprinkled 3v1 here and there.  The maps are mostly of the built in maps (the ones blizzard made of course) and there is 1 custom game in which I amused myself by trying some retarded map called Archer Friends or some bullshit,  it was a 2v1.  Most of them I won,  the only games I lost were on GoW.  Go figure since thats the map I like best.  So ya, there are lots of noobs to go around.  A 2v3 in pball isnt that impressive considering the player skill pool ;)

I'll amuse myself in a few minutes here and try some pball maps.  But uhhhhhh I dont even know which maps to look for nor how to tell if they are even legit.  2 maps with the same name are possible and you wouldnt know the difference.  It's not like a blizzard map where you can tell it's a fake map.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »
watched the video smeagol. orange was very bad..  and even you made newb mistakes.

:54 you let your knight die to footmen. had plenty of time to pull it back
:56 orange led his cat down the path with absolutely no footies clearing the path.
1:12 orange leaving mage completely unprotected.. no footies clearing path again
1:16 black leaving archer completely exposed
1:23 orange running down the path with almost no lead between his footies and his archers/knight
1:25 you ran peon up with no footies leading it .. died with no resistance
1:36 you got trigger happy with your mage and plowed all of your footmen

we're not even 2 minutes into the game and there are already multiple errors on everyone's part. basic errors that continue throughout the game. horrible U.C. and poor decision making.

im sorry but i stand by my statement.. if any decent gow ef player had the desire to learn this map and play it on a regular basis you and all other "good" pball players would be humbled very quickly.

the thing is no decent players would ever spend lots of time learning/playing this map.. there is literally no reason. it's like going backwards. sure they're fun to play from time to time just to break the monotony, but to take it seriously when you are aware of and understand the complexity and challenge of other maps/speeds are? .. not likely.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
Well, scrap that idea I guess.  Server is currently not responding :/  I'll give it another 10-15 mins before I wander off to play hearthstone lol.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
watched the video smeagol. orange was very bad..  and even you made newb mistakes.

:54 you let your knight die to footmen. had plenty of time to pull it back
:56 orange led his cat down the path with absolutely no footies clearing the path.
1:12 orange leaving mage completely unprotected.. no footies clearing path again
1:16 black leaving archer completely exposed
1:23 orange running down the path with almost no lead between his footies and his archers/knight
1:25 you ran peon up with no footies leading it .. died with no resistance
1:36 you got trigger happy with your mage and plowed all of your footmen

we're not even 2 minutes into the game and there are already multiple errors on everyone's part. basic errors that continue throughout the game. horrible U.C. and poor decision making.

im sorry but i stand by my statement.. if any decent gow ef player had the desire to learn this map and play it on a regular basis you and all other "good" pball players would be humbled very quickly.

the thing is no decent players would ever spend lots of time learning/playing this map.. there is literally no reason. it's like going backwards. sure they're fun to play from time to time just to break the monotony, but to take it seriously when you are aware of and understand the complexity and challenge of other maps/speeds are? .. not likely.
i like when orange attacks with the skelly and then just stands the skelly there in the middle of the path not moving at all until it gets fireballed.  like come on

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
You should check out some of the highlights I have saved on my twitch stream.  There are a couple 4v1's,  lots of 2v1's, and a sprinkled 3v1 here and there.

My favorite game with you is still the one where Equinox unallied you when you were at middle at town hall still and he was at 11 with lust and still lost lmao. I love how you play mid.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:30:59 PM by Winchester »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
exactly blid... these are all mistakes that they're allowed to get away with because the people they're playing are bad too.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
My favorite game with you is still the one where Equinonx unallied you when you were at middle at town hall still and he was at 11 with lust and still lost lmao. I love how you play mid.

Haha yea that was an epic fail on his part lol. He tried to be a jackass and then it backfired lmao.