Author Topic: Gryphon Sanctuary (Base Defense)  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Fennor

• Peon
    • View Profile
Gryphon Sanctuary (Base Defense)
« on: January 15, 2023, 05:54:58 PM »
This is a Singleplayer map I already built a few years ago, but I never made it public.

Objetctives

Bomb through the mountain to rescue the powerful Gryphon Riders. You need to defend your base to make it to the other side before your are overwhelmed by enemy attacks. The explosives need lots oil, so make sure that your oil supply chain is also well defended.

Unit information:

-Can't build Transport Ships
-Can't build Gryphon Aviary
-Demolition Squad costs Oil instead of Gold and Lumber
-Oil Tankers are very expensive
-Gryphon Riders are a lot stronger

Difficulty

Expert (I think, it is hard for me at least)

Here is a gamemaps link for more screenshots: https://www.gamemaps.com/details/28816

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Gryphon Sanctuary (Base Defense)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 05:39:18 AM »
is there any special trigger/objective to complete ? I would like to make an enhanced version of this map that have an interesting layout. I can add up custom objectives if that was your original idea. Now its possible nowadays with new generation modding features.

Also, would you allow me to make an enhanced version ?

Thanks for sharing !

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 10:12:27 AM »
stop making enhanced, MAKE YOUR OWN MAPS
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Fennor

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 02:40:16 PM »
At first I really just wanted to make a base defense level, I made this map a few years back. The bombing part indeed was just a workaround for a timer. But since I built this map around the idea of the bombing I think it works quite well as it is. It could be changed to winning immediatly after rescuing player 3, but I think being able to finally be the attacker after only trying to somehow survive first is a nice touch. If you think you can improve this map you are free to make changes though.

Currently I am working on a different level, project name is "exorcism". You get attacked by humans (are supposed to represent undeads) very frequently, they all have very low hp but high armor and are flagged as undead. Since health is low exorcism is very effective. Maybe it would be good if you lose as soon as the church is destroyed. And maybe only destryoing barracks should be enough. So if you want I may come back to you when the level is finished.

Thanks for the offer.

Btw. can you also change things like damage and cost of spells?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:10:50 PM by Fennor »

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 07:54:39 PM »
https://gamebanana.com/mods/410857

about the spell cost, I can assume you're refering to mana cost. If its this then yes, you can check out Legacy of Dalaran Enhanced mod in link above.

I have tweaked Healing mana cost for example to be reduced from 6mana/1HP to 4mana/1HP. Code is available within the mod files as well for anybody willing to do their own customized mods. All code is on C++ programming language.

About damage, I have to ask to Ed gorod for it. He's the genius that knows how to change something like this.

I will see what I can do with the map you posted in here. Thanks for your creativity.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
hey bud, I have made a 2nd attempt into your map. I think have fixed up AI to just work as base game should do it.
This time, I got slaughtered a couple of times because running out of resources.

You can take a look on my youtube channel if want to see the feedback. And I think my new plugin did wonderful with your map as a fun challenge.

Little observations:

1) Timing for Orange is a bit slow on the beginning but eventually they get level 5 units and level 3 trolls.

2) Black ran out of gold apparently in mid game when I was taking down orange. There's one new generation function that allows computer to have infinite amount of gold available from the same gold mine if reaches out a minimal amount of gold available, say like 400 in gold mine. I could enable this if you want to keep them harassing till the very end, even though may need

3) Purple did an intense siege with their ships. I was surprised that their ships did not get stucked near shipyards. I think reducing computer range was great for them.

4) They eventually slowed down quite a bit on mid-late game with their transport attacks. But I'm aware now that they're using default AI scripts from Blizzard. Still, they have worked flawlessly this time on your map. I think is the one of the very few times I have seen AI scripts from Blizzard working this flawlessly well. I'm not exaggerating.

5) I just sieged up orange at first because I tried to get the demo squads to get into green's base but I did not have the resources for it in time. In fact, blacks ended up doing overrun to my base because lack of lumber or gold. But also had to invest in defending oil tankers or I would never get good enough amount of demo squads.

6) It's a very well designed map layout. Not too often I see something that fits so well for the war2 AI. I think you deserve way more credit and acknowledgement for this map.

7) If you allow me, I can make an enhanced version that will improve the AI even beyond.

Thanks for the experience!